New brewer in Staten Island, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimnl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got started in January and am now planning my third brew. I have a Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gallon kit, but already have been upgrading the parts and looking in to how I can get away with a 5 gallon kit. I was introduced to the forums from a former co-worker who has been brewing for quite a bit longer than me. Glad to be a part of this community!

I think my heart just stopped. I've been checking "introductions" for months waiting for a Staten Islander and here you are. You must come to my house Immediately to drink homebrew. Welcome, tell us all about you right now

Haha, thanks! I actually PM'd Airborneguy asking about the S.I. home brew club and he mentioned that he brews with you occasionally. I'd be happy to meet some other S.I.ers doing the home brew thing.

Anyhow, I'm 32, grew up in Belgium and have been enjoying beers since very early on (the drinking age is 16 in Belgium, but there is absolutely no enforcement of this - at least when I was growing up) and that taught me to appreciate well crafted beers. I only recently started getting in to home brewing after a former co-worker was getting grains and hops delivered to work - it made me realize that I had to try it. I finally got my kit for Christmas and am now hooked as I wait for my second brew to be ready. I am spending far too much time browsing the forums as well as Northern Brewers site :)

Anyhow - let me know if you have any room for a newbie looking to learn more the next time you are brewing!

I'm workin on brewing something up soon. You could come by. Me and Airborne might be doing a double brew day together soon. We'll let you know when.

Buy partial mash kits from places like northern brewer, mid west supplies, brewmasters warehouse (reputable places) as long as you have equip to handle partial mash. Was never a big pure extract fan. Partial mash gives you flexibility in making better beer and getting you ready for all grain. After a few batches of partial mash & honing skills, I recommend u graduate to all grain. Of course this calls for an equipment upgrade ( maybe another $100 or so). Just tell the wife it costs half as much as it actually is, and make sure you make good beer and she likes it this way she never complains that you are spending too much $ on a hobby. Prioritize! What's more important, Great beer now, or kids college tuition down the line?

And, yes, I live on the island of little orange people, too.

Back