Leave hydrometer in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
Is there any reason it might NOT be a good idea to just leave a sanitized hydrometer inside a clear or translucent fermenter, so it can be checked without constantly having to open it, other than running out of hydrometers? Maybe do it after krausen has dropped?

In theory it should be fine, however in practice, foam, floaties, and bubbles could make it near impossible to read accurately. If any CO2 bubbles get lodged against it below the surface they will throw the reading off as well.
Trying to read it through a translucent material would be difficult too, depending on the degree of opacity.

In my opinion.

In theory it should be fine, however in practice, foam, floaties, and bubbles could make it near impossible to read accurately. If any CO2 bubbles get lodged against it below the surface they will throw the reading off as well.
Trying to read it through a translucent material would be difficult too, depending on the degree of opacity.

In my opinion.

Yeah that's an excellent point, can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks

Latest posts

Back