C02 regulator/gauges question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So I have this set of gauges and regulators out in the shop and I want to use them on a C02 tank. The high pressure gauge says it's for an oxygen tank so I'm not sure if I can use it. Oxygen is a reverse thread I believe, so can I change the tank connector and use it safely?

I'm a newbie so bear with me if I don't get the picture posted properly. (I can post as many as you like if it will help anyone answer my questions.)

Many thanks.

drywalling028.jpg

that is an interesting pressure regulator setup. it has a hard plumbed inline secondary regulator with a high(er) pressure gauge for the secondary, and then it looks like two outputs with one having a check valve.

if the regulator bodies are the same, i would say to actually make it into two separate primary regulators, just buy the tank fittings.

i believe you'll be fine using it as a co2 regulator, even if it was previously an oxygen regulator. the fitting is pretty easy to change. you shouldn't experience any contamination as oxygen regulators really need to be cleaner than other gasses due to the oxidation of materials (oil will combust with very little energy input when in a pure oxygen enviornment).

just so you know though - i would never use the regulator as an oxygen regulator again after converting it for use with co2. even though there shouldn't be anything in the co2, oxygen is EXTREMELY dangerous, and i would not recommend anyone to take a chance using it for oxygen again.

just a thought - check the max inlet pressure on the regulator body, usually there is a sticker. i forgot the pressure oxygen is stored at in tanks, but i assume it would be higher than co2, so you should be ok.

in case you didn't know - co2 fittings are CGA-320. i believe oxygen is 540? i know nitrogen is 580. just make sure to get the right fitting.

Back