Mead first-timer, equipment ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
I've made several batches of beer now and wanted to try my hand at mead. Newbie question here: do you guys who brew both use your equipment (fermenters, siphon tubing, etc.) for both? I know it works for both, but something about honey just makes me think it might leave an odor or even flavor despite cleaning it well. Am I being paranoid?

I'd be more worried that some of the malt/hop aroma would leave an odor. I've noticed with some of my meth's that the spices do hang around on the plastic, but after a good soak, rinse, and airing out, it dissipates. If there is still a faint residual aroma, I've not noticed it transferred in any way into any other product that has come in contact with that particular vessel.

Soaking with PBW is good at removing all sorts of odor from plastic buckets and equipment.

I use the same equipment for beer and meads, including fermenting vessels.

FWIW, I left a melomel in a bucket with 15lbs of peaches and 3oz of fresh ginger for 3 months. A good wash and soak, and it was like new. I've since used it for two beers, and didn't notice any peachy/ginger aroma in either of those.

LOL, you must not have been bitten by the bug too hard yet. Most people would say "ok, so I don't have to buy another fermenter, but I think I'll pick one up next week, just in case" =D

True enough, but I've already been doing that for my beer equipment. I bought a ten-gallon SS brewpot and I've not even stepped up to all grain yet! The funny thing is I absolutely can't stand honey, so I don't know why I'm on this mead kick to begin with.

Back