Suggest West Coast Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why West Coast, might I ask? There's plenty of great beer in between coasts. You'd have an easier time finding good Midwest Beer nearby, ones that you could probably get by just crossing the state line. Munster, Indiana isn't THAT far from Pennsylvania...

Some great Midwest Breweries of the top of my head:

Three Floyd's
Founder's
Jolly Pumpkin
Bells'
Surly
New Glarus
Goose Island
Great Lakes

All world class breweries, and within spitting distance. Don't be a coastal snob.

my faves:

Boundary Bay
Russian River
Stone
Lagunitas
Port
Firestone
Bear Republic
Rogue

Why West Coast, might I ask? There's plenty of great beer in between coasts. You'd have an easier time finding good Midwest Beer nearby, ones that you could probably get by just crossing the state line. Munster, Indiana isn't THAT far from Pennsylvania...

Some great Midwest Breweries of the top of my head:

Three Floyd's
Founder's
Jolly Pumpkin
Bells'
Surly
New Glarus
Goose Island
Great Lakes

All world class breweries, and within spitting distance. Don't be a coastal snob.

3F, Surly, New Glarus, Goose Island don't distribute out this way...and I am unsure about Great Lakes.

I've done a few road trips with SWMBO thru the west coast and many of my favs are listed here. But I can't believe no one has mentioned the Pelican Pub in Pacific City, Oregon. Absolutely outstanding beers and the best physical brewpub I've ever been to.

Pyramid too.

I think though that for absolute west coast style the other posts have been right. When I think west coast vs. east coast I think of the hoppier brews. Not saying that the lighter brews aren't good reps of each side too. The hoppier brews are done differently though. So for the big breweries stick with Stone, Russian River (not for size, but for the press it's getting right now and how it is a great rep of west coast IPA), Rogue, Firewalker and Sierra. There are other greats that we have all mentioned, but you are most likely to find these guys out there. If you find the others though, by all means.

I've done a few road trips with SWMBO thru the west coast and many of my favs are listed here. But I can't believe no one has mentioned the Pelican Pub in Pacific City, Oregon. Absolutely outstanding beers and the best physical brewpub I've ever been to.

I took a road trip a few weeks ago and that was one of our stops. They had some good beer but i did not care for their IPA at all.

I'm a big fan of Pelican too, but I don't think the East Coasters can sample their beer without visiting Oregon (or GABF).

I agree with just about all the breweries everyone has mentioned...The west coast is really known for their big hoppy beers, especially Stone beers. I was briefly looking over everyone else's responses and opinions but I didn't notice anyone mentioning Karl Strauss or Gordon Biersch. I know these breweries are strictly local to San Diego county, but just maybe they distribute to a select few beer stores on the east coast?? I'm just wondering how much Stone is actually in circulation out there...I figure their Pale Ale is their most widely sold beer out here so I'm wondering if even that is available in places like PA?

Karl Strauss is an SD company and they're pretty average. I think Gordon Biersch are not just local, but they're also kind of blah. If we're going to put our best forward, I'd rather give the best names, and not try to give the average selections.

Back