Reccomend a thermostat, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
assume you configured the 419 for a setpoint of 52F and a deadband of 2F. in cooling mode (heating mode would just be reversed):

Cut in mode: the controller will trigger the the compressor (close the relay) at Setpoint + deadband, ie 54 degrees. It will release the compressor (open the relay) at Setpoint, 52F

Cut out mode: the controller will trigger the compressor (close the relay) at Setpoint, ie 52F. It will release the compressor (open the relay) at Setpoint - deadband, 50F

So, in Cut In mode you're cycling between 52 and 54F. In cut out mode you're cycling between 50 and 52. Some people will say, "well, that's crap, i want it to be 52F all the time." For one, I think the A419 will let you set a deadband as low as 1F, so you could do that, and two, in On/Off control you always have some deadband. It's adequate for fermentation control, and you're limited by the mechanical system (your freezer) in the fact that you don't want it to be cycling often. I think the A419 calls the deadband "Differential" or dIF in the menu system.

hysteresis refers to the fact that a thermostat control system state is dependent on its history. For example, in our thermostat above (assume cut in mode), if I were to say, "The current temp is 53F, is the compressor on or off?" You couldn't make that determination. Therefore, a thermostat (any on/off control system for that matter) has hysteresis.

assume you configured the 419 for a setpoint of 52F and a deadband of 2F. in cooling mode (heating mode would just be reversed):

Cut in mode: the controller will trigger the the compressor (close the relay) at Setpoint + deadband, ie 54 degrees. It will release the compressor (open the relay) at Setpoint, 52F

Cut out mode: the controller will trigger the compressor (close the relay) at Setpoint - deadband, ie 50F. It will again release the compressor (open the relay) at Setpoint, 52F

So, in Cut In mode you're cycling between 52 and 54F. In cut out mode you're cycling between 50 and 52. Some people will say, "well, that's crap, i want it to be 52F all the time." For one, I think the A419 will let you set a deadband as low as 1F, so you could do that, and two, in On/Off control you always have some deadband. It's adequate for fermentation control, and you're limited by the mechanical system (your freezer) in the fact that you don't want it to be cycling often. I think the A419 calls the deadband "Differential" or dIF in the menu system.

hysteresis refers to the fact that a thermostat control system state is dependent on its history. For example, in our thermostat above (assume cut in mode), if I were to say, "The current temp is 53F, is the compressor on or off?" You couldn't make that determination. Therefore, a thermostat (any on/off control system for that matter) has hysteresis.

Thanks. Assuming a 2° differential, is it better to be cut-in or cut-out, or will it not matter much? I can't see a big difference, but i wasn't sure if people thought it is better to drop it back low (assuming you aren't too low) and let it rise again, than let it go high and drop it back down).

if you're measuring air temp, it really won't matter. the beer won't fluctuate much while the air goes between 52 and 54.

if you're measuring beer, like with a thermowell, then it might make some difference, but again not much.

i'd say look at your yeast tolerance and see which side you want to error. if you're fermenting WY2633 which has a temp range of 48 - 58, and you wanna ferment it at like 49, i'd probably err on the hot side.

well i was planning on dumping some data on my latest lager ferment, but my controller is jacked....

the control circuit still works fine, so that's good, but the back-end data logging and user interface is whacked.

Back