d-rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
I am brewing a light lager. My original gravity was 1.037. The finishing gravitt is supposed to be, according to the austin homebrew kit, is supoosed to be 1.005. For the past four days the gravity has been stuck at 1.010. The sample I took tasted awesome. I have made the decision to go ahead a take it out of the fridge I had set at 55. Did I make a wrong move?

I am brewing a light lager. My original gravity was 1.037. The finishing gravitt is supposed to be, according to the austin homebrew kit, is supoosed to be 1.005. For the past four days the gravity has been stuck at 1.010. The sample I took tasted awesome. I have made the decision to go ahead a take it out of the fridge I had set at 55. Did I make a wrong move?

It's probably done at 1.010. It's good to do the diacetyl rest before FG is reached, so it might be a little late but it's probably a good time now rather than later.

Ok so what are some signs of diacetyl then? From what I have read, I should expect a buttery taste? But the sample tasted great

Then in all likelihood you don't need a d rest. 90% of the lagers I make don't.

Most of the time you don't need a rest, like Denny says. However, I always do one, because:

(1) it doesn't cost anything and can save you big trouble later.

(2) I'm not convinced my palate is sophisticated enough to pick up diacetyl when it's subtle, but a beer judge might if I send it in to a competition.

(3) I had diacetyl in an Oktoberfest once and it was a bugger to fix.

Can anyone identify a downside to doing a d-rest?

Back