Recommendations On Finding A Spot to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I live in a fairly small place, where I brew, but I'm looking for a larger place to set up my home brew. Does anyone have any recommendations to find space? I've been given the advice to move, but I'm not looking to do that. Also, I've looked on Craig's List for garages, but really haven't had any luck. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

A lot of homebrew clubs and even some homebrew shops will allow you to set up for a nominal membership or cursory fee. My LHBS does group brewing for free (just buy ingredients), but it's on a rotating basis. Check American Homebrewers Association (AHA) website for affiliated clubs.

Other than that...move to a bigger place. I cannot imagine schlepping my homebrewing equipment from place to place.

Does your living space have a kitchen of some sort and a stove? Size your brewing rig to fit whatever amount your stove can boil. If you don't have a kitchen or stove, there are electric BIAB options that run on 110 volts. I agree with someone above that said its not worth it moving your brewing stuff from place to place.

are you in an apartment or house ? if a house buy a shed and turn it into a brewshed. if in an apartment and you dont want to move look into an E-BIAB setup minimal space takeup and no worry of propane indoors. best i can come up with

Just take over the basement, or take over/ build a shed. I brew year round in my detached unheated garage in Ny, ferment in there also.

Hot Rod heat stick with a 110V element
5 gallon kettle
Wilserbrewer bag for BIAB
2.5 gallon batch size

Go!

The major impediment to brewing in small, compromised spaces is the insistence on brewing big ar$e batches of beer - 5 or 10 gallons - even though that's the "standard" in home brewing. Just downsize the batch size, brew twice as often, and have a blast.

We just downsized houses so we can grow our family while the Wife stays home with the kids. We were in a single family 4 bedroom house that had an unfinished basement plus a garage. Now we're in a townhouse with a fully finished basement and no garage. Still 4 bedrooms but no storage space at all besides a few random closets here and there. It's tough but I'm finding space in the utility room even though the ceiling is only 66 inches high... I get half of the 4th bedroom to which I have shelving for and I"m stashing stuff where ever I can fit it. I also have a full size fridge for my taps, a floorstand corker with all the bottles to age my twice a year big brew day and all the other equipment to store. Immersion chiller, grain mill, buckets, bulk grain, scale, hoses, kettles, mash tun, burner, extra fermentors both 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon, etc, etc...
I'm def going to have to buy a shed of some sort to keep outside but I still have our bikes, lawnmower, and other crap to store too. I'm also into smoking meats so I have a propane weber grill, a charcoal grill, a smoker, fire pit, etc, to also to put into a shed. So, there's not a whole lot of room for my brew stuff but I'm trying to make it work... I figure people brew in smaller spaces so I should be able to make this work.

We just bought the house and I'm already looking forward to selling it in 3-5 years....

I live in a small place too which is why I like systems like the Grainfather. There's no way that takes up too much space, it's got the footprint of a vacuum cleaner.

I live in a fairly small place, where I brew, but I'm looking for a larger place to set up my home brew. Does anyone have any recommendations to find space? I've been given the advice to move, but I'm not looking to do that. Also, I've looked on Craig's List for garages, but really haven't had any luck. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Do you have a house with a yard that you can put in a shed? That would be my first recommendation. If not, go with an all in one system life the grainfather. They're expensive, but far cheaper than renting a garage for any length of time.

Some buddies of mine used a storage unit as a practice space for their band. It wasn't heated, but had power, and for $25 a month, they couldn't beat the price.

Latest posts

Back