Solution to green apple kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhayden37

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of extract beer. I have details about the process and ingredients below, but my essential question is this: I have a green apple flavor in the beer and I know this is because it needed to be aged longer. I have already chilled it and carbonated it for about 8 days. Can I get the green apple flavor out at this point? If so how? Warm it up? Release CO2? I'd be happy for any suggestions.

Here are the details of the brew. Super simple brew that I've made several batches of. 3.5 gallon full boil with 3.3lbs of Light LME, 1lb of Pilsen DME, 1oz of Cascade at 60 min, .5 oz @ 15 & .5 oz @ 5. Use an immersion chiller, transfer to carboy. Pitched with Wyeast 1007*** (see note below). Primary for 2 weeks. Transferred to keg for 2 days. Put keg in fridge and set to serving pressure for 8 days. Tried today and blah!

This is the first time I used Wyeast 1007 with this recipe. Normally use 1056 with all the same processes and have never had a bad beer (bottled and kegged).

If it's the same issue that I had, no. I had two separate batches (10 gallons) that had that same problem and it only got worse over time. One keg was in the fridge and the other was sitting in the basement at 68-70 for two months and never improved.

My best guess is that mine was some sort of contamination that had the same profile as excess diacetyl (young beer). It was so bad that my friends wouldn't even drink the free beer offered

Back