thinking about buying this kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
thinking about buying this kegerator. i am going to check it out this weekend. i would like some tips on things to look at to make sure its working properly before i from some coin on it. i know i am going to replace all the bev lines and all, but is there a way to check refrigerant other tha just thrning it on to see if it gets cold?

thanks

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/app/2127315145.html

Seems like a good find! Pretty sure those go for $2k+ brand new. You plan on converting it to hold like 1-billion corny kegs, right? There will be a small expenditure changing over fittings and adding faucets, but part of that can be absorbed by selling the sanke couplers.
There is no good way to measure refrigerant level in a fridge (the good news is they are fully enclosed units and don't leak like cars do). The only real test is the empirical one, turn it on and compare internal temps to outside temp. Being made to serve commercial beer, I would suspect it should have no problem cooling to mid 30's.
Good find and good luck!
See you at the super bowl ;-)

thanks. i am debating on leaving th top stainless or maybe doing some tile work. i might just leave it stainless, and maybe do some tilework on the front. possibly spin the towers around so the doors would be hidden on the back side.

lots of plans for it, but i guess i better get over there amd make sure it runs first.

My friend picked up a unit like that earlier this year for a couple hunderd dollars, he went nuts on fixing it up, all new door seals, new hoses, new faucets, new evaporator fan, new evap shroud and a new compressor, total for the parts was under 500 dollars including labor on compressor install, he has a like new unit that will hold 10 corneys with ease, and he is less than $800 in it total. nothing but the door seals needed to be replaced, but he is anal about his gear and did not want any issues down the road.

I suggest you make sure the seller keeps it on for a few days at the lowest temp, so you can verify that it is running cold when you pick it up. I do understand that these commercial units are pretty noisy, but if that is not a problem for you by all means go for it.

i never thought of the noise issue. its going to be in a seperate bar room. i'll have to listen to it when i check it out

seems like a great deal for $600.

this is where buying used > than DIY

-=Jason=-

I know someone that has one of these out in his garage. It is really loud. Even in the garage it kind of overshadows conversation inside the house when it kicks on.

just make sure its been on for a few days when you pick it up, and wait for the compressor to kick on before you buy it.

only YOU can be the judge

-=Jason=-

Back