My California Wheat Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
My LHBS supplied me with pale wheat malt instead of the carahell I ordered. I didn't notice (I know - its obvious now) and added it to my California Lager.
The recipe was 4.5kg 2-row and 500g pale wheat malt with Northern brewer and Wyeast 2112.
Besides potential haze will there be any other negative effects ?
What can I expect from the finished product ? Ive never made a wheat beer before.

So far its tasting good.
When I took an OG reading with a refractometer it was 1.064 but I had dumped the entire boil into the fermenter (ball valve was stuck) so as a result there was a huge amount of hop particulate etc (wort appeared green) - could this have affected OG ?

The reason I ask is FG is at 1.010 which is 84% attenuation (7.1% abv) . Using Wyeast 2112 - which attenuates at 67% to 71% - is this possible ?

I don't yet use a brew program, based on 4.5kg pale and 500g wheat malt what is estimated OG (75% effic.) ? I estimate it should be around the mid -1.050's.
(I started with beersmith today) - should be 1.051 at 75% efficiency.

That would mean that the 2112 attentuated 84% - is that possible ?
Also : 4.5kg pale 2 row + 1/2kg wheat malt at 75% efficiency results in 1.051. 1.064 is +-93% efficiency - thats impossible.
Something must have affected the refractometer reading.

No problem man. No one else has come up with any suggestions so I will assume it was the hop sediment.
Thats the beauty of beersmith - next time I will realize my OG is out and double check with the hydrometer.

Back