First Time, Might have screwed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cveez11

Reaction score
Ok, i am brewing my first ever batch of beer. I messed up and took my sample for initial gravity before pitching the yeast. so, i threw it out. I let it ferment for 7 days, then today, i siphoned it to the secondary fermenter. I think i moved it too soon. It seems very active in the secondary. My understanding is that it wouldn't be very active in the secondary. however, after a couple of hours in the secondary, it already has a foam layer on top and is bubbling out of the airlock pretty frequently. I guess my question is, will moving it to a secondary fermenter too soon mess up the taste? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Keep in mind a lot of guys here don't even use a secondary. I'm certain it will taste like beer either way.

In the future take SG readings a couple days in a row and rack to secondary(if you must) when the sg does not change.

or... RDWHAHB

Original gravity is just that: the gravity before anything happens so why would you pitch yeast first?
You may have not waited long enough to transfer, but it is also possible you are seeing the CO2 escaping from the beer.
In any case, you're freaking out. It'll be fine.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have learned alot with this batch and i should do better on the next one. On the original gravity thing. my plan was to draw a sample after pitching and let it ferment next to the primary so i would have access to testing without disturbing the brew. I did get the original before throwing it out. and i also caught a sample when i moved it to secondary. so i can monitor it now. anyhow, thanks for the responses.

On the original gravity thing. my plan was to draw a sample after pitching and let it ferment next to the primary so i would have access to testing without disturbing the brew. I did get the original before throwing it out. .

As I understand it, this won't work. the sample left out to ferment and check gravity will not progress at the same rate as the large amount in the fermenter.

Check the OG before pitching yeast.
After activity seems to be subsided check the SG for stability. I usually check one day and then check again after 2 days for this. Get a wine theif for taking samples and make life easy.

once SG is stable, then transfer to secondary, if you want to secondary. if you don't want to secondary, it can be bottled then...though the general idea is that if you let it sit longer the yeasties will continue to clean up the beer and provide you with a better end product.

Latest posts

Back