Why does my beer have a malty flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfulp

Reaction score
Recently made an American Pale Ale and when it finished it had a malty flavor to it. I put 1oz of hops in at the beginning of the boil and then another ounce with ten minutes left. I get a very subtle hop flavor. What happened for me to have such a malty flavor with little hop flavor?

What was the AA content of the hops. An ozof hops at the beginning might of been enough. Also an ounce of finishing hops was probably not enough.

Problem....not enough hops!!

I wouldnt make an APA with any less than 5 oz of hops..and id probably use closer to around 6-7 actually.

Post a recipe... extract or all grain?

Thanks guys for the input. it was an extract kit and I am away from my recipe to recall exactly how I brewed it. I know I added one ounce of hops at the beginning of the boil and one ounce with about five to ten minutes left. The entire boil was sixty minutes. I have also concluded that I did not have enough hops that I would have liked and the next time will dry hop an ounce or ounce and a half for a bit more of a hop taste.

I use 2oz of finishing hops in my APA,at 20 minutes & 15. No dry hop,I save that for my IPA's. But that's me. Some bittering & the finishing hops give it a good balance.

+3 on the hops.

especially if the hops you got were really mild, 2oz would be nothing.

do you know what kind of hops it was?

If you tried your beer before bottling it will taste much different after 3-8 weeks in bottles.

Yeah,it'll take a while to learn what the green beer tastes like finished to be able to judge early on if it's gunna be right or not. That comes with experience.

I recently tried my Pale Ale when it reached FG and it tasted OK. Then I tried the same beer with priming sugar added from the bottom of my bottling bucket and it tasted terrible! But I'm not worried that it will mature to something good!

Back