First all Grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck-E-bear

Reaction score
going to start my first all grain batch tonight. any helpful tips or hints on sparging and/or the overall process?

My friend that is a loaded question and the answer depends on how much time you have.
1) Search HBT for answers, they are all here.
2) Have a few cold ones while you're brewing
3) Make sure you have fun and enjoy yourself

i have enough time to do it right i was just looking for some lessons learned so i can skip some mistakes right off the bat. i have a good idea of how it goes. been reading and watching videos.

I didn't realize until after my 1st AG batch that my digital thermometer was about 6 degrees off to the low side, so my temps were all over the place .

+1 on the thermometer. I realized after I started my mash that the thermometer read nearly 20F low. I happened to check with another thermometer and realized the problem. Fortunately my heat loss to the grains was much more than expected, so I ended up ok. I only had to bring the temp up by around 8F instead of the 28F that the first thermometer showed.

Also check volume measurements to make sure those are accurate.

and one more question, all i read about is using stainless steel pots. is it okay to use aluminum pots?

did you bring the temp up by adding more hot water or or doing it some other way?

I used a heat stick.

Aluminum is fine and much cheaper! The only issue IMO would be what it's being used for. Aluminum would dissipate heat quicker as a mash tun but conduct heat better for a kettle. Either way, it would work though.

I just did my first all grain last week, and to think 6 months ago I was doing Mr Beer kits. I've done a few extract batches, it really feels more satisfying knowing that you made beer from scratch, the way your favorite breweries make it and the way they were making it hundreds of years ago

Back