So I was given a case of empty wine bottles to use...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
I plan on making my first Saison de Raison in a few weeks

What are the dos and donts of bottling in wine bottles? If any? Priming, corking, aging, etc.

Thank you

do bottle wine in wine bottles. dont bottle carbonated drinks in wine bottles.

There is only one rule: DON'T!!!!

Wine bottles are not designed to hold the pressure of carbonation. Best case scenario the corks pop out. Worse case is you have exploding bottles and glass shards and a big mess to clean up.

If you are talking about sparking wine bottles then the rules are different but I have a feeling you aren't.

Man I am glad I asked first!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are white and red wine bottles!!!

OMG, I am so thankful!

as long as you are going to make it still... do not prime it, even better use some meta-bisulfate to stop fermentation so you don't have gushers (i think thats the name of what they use in wine to stop fermentation for bottling). I bet apfelwein would be great still, served cold

Already in the carboy ;)

Made it back in June and plan to bottle in october in time for Thanksgiving.

I will use the bottles then. It's safe?

as long as you are going to make it still... do not prime it, even better use some meta-bisulfate to stop fermentation so you don't have gushers (i think thats the name of what they use in wine to stop fermentation for bottling). I bet apfelwein would be great still, served cold

Yep, I bottle mine without carbonation and prefer it that way. The wine bottles will be safe for uncarbonated Apfelwein, if you want to carb it then you should use bottles that can take the pressure.

Back