Will this plan work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I got a mason jar full of bacon fat in my freezer. If I drill a hole in the center of the fat, and put a piece of butcher's twine down the center of it... can I make a simple and yet kickass candle?

I think you need to render the fat down a bit to get it "pure" enough for a clean even burn....IIRC yooper's been making beef tallow candles which is a similar process. I think she might even have a thread on it.

I got a mason jar full of bacon fat in my freezer. If I drill a hole in the center of the fat, and put a piece of butcher's twine down the center of it... can I make a simple and yet kickass candle?

I feel like that would just make me really mad. Always smelling bacon, but with no bacon on the way. Why would you torture yourself like that??

It would work, as Revvy pointed out.

My issue with it is that I see it as a waste of good bacon fat.
All kidding aside, when you fry up some good bacon the renderings are the next best thing to duck or goose fat.

So why "waste" it on a candle?

Another option is plain old lard. The next option if you're feeling adventurous- many Mexican markets sell packets of pork fat dirt cheap. I think they remove the skin from it to make chicharones, or they use the fat in making chorizo. I bought two 1.5 # packets for sausage making for 89 cents a packet. You COULD render that fat down and use that.

But methinks you want the bacon smell when you burn it, right?

Yes exactly. I have 3 jars total, and I already utilize the one jar for sauteeing. Thought having a bacon candle would be a cool way of getting rid of the one I will never get around to using.

Back