Thermal-bonding Johnson cont. to carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBrewinAround

Reaction score
Now that I have a good keezer running on a Johnson control, I want to start using it, when possible, as a ferment chamber. To do this I want to put the sensing bulb right up against the glass and do a fillet with some sort of good thermo-conductive material to get the best transfer. I can do some foam or other insulation on the outside, I just want the most surface contact between the bulb and the carboy. When NOT fermenting, I would like to use the same setup against a keg or some other mass for temp control. Thoughts?
Maybe some sort of metallic putty,...playdough?

Overkill?

I have three controllers with probes strapped to carboys and kegs with insulation on top and the controllers consistently read within a half degree F of LC strips, my Thermapen and IR thermometer. No thermally conductive material required...

Cheers!

Sounds like a very messy situation. Thermal compounds are only necessary for transfer of large amounts of heat. Insulating the probe from ambient air in the fermentation chamber should be sufficient as the rate of change of temperature is low.

Latest posts

Back