Kelvinator for a Kegorator... help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhistory

Reaction score
I posted this in equipment also, sorry for the repeat....

I ran across a nice old Kelvinator fridge that a guy was getting rid of for 50 bucks.... I couldn't pass this deal up. HOWEVER, there isn't enough room to store a Corny Keg without removing the freezer unit; enter my question. I know I can't remove the unit, but I am wondering if I can move it over to allow 1 keg.... Ideas?

052.JPG

055.JPG

056.JPG

It looks like you could move the freezer unit an inch or two to the left. You'd have to figure out new mounting for it. You'd have to be verrrrrry careful and rebend that coolant line. Don't kink it!

Maybe a pin lock keg would fit better? They are a couple inches shorter I think.

joshjv said:
It looks like you could move the freezer unit an inch or two to the left. You'd have to figure out new mounting for it. You'd have to be verrrrrry careful and rebend that coolant line. Don't kink it!

Maybe a pin lock keg would fit better? They are a couple inches shorter I think.

Was thinking about devising some system where I would keep the current bolts in the top, but put the unit on some sort of slide system.... This is a complete crap description.... My brain and my words don't always play nice......

jbhistory said:
Was thinking about devising some system where I would keep the current bolts in the top, but put the unit on some sort of slide system.... This is a complete crap description.... My brain and my words don't always play nice......

There you go. Get a couple of the flat slotted steel strips from hardware store, where they have angle iron and such. A thick enough one ought to support the load well! Bolt it to the roof and the freezer unit to it..

You definitely don't want to be sliding the "freezer" back and forth, as that would eventually result in a breach in one of the refrigerant lines. A one time shift, ok, but that should be it...

Cheers!

You definitely don't want to be sliding the "freezer" back and forth, as that would eventually result in a breach in one of the refrigerant lines. A one time shift, ok, but that should be it...

Cheers!

Yes it would be a one time thing indeed.... just to get it over without having to drill new bracket holes... I am thinking about something like the bracket below, though not and L bracket.....

735722.jpg

I am also wondering if you could fit pin locks or converted pinlocks in there.

Back