Citra ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsyoung

Reaction score
I am brewing a half batch and I want to feature citra. I am bittering with either cascade or centennial and was wondering if I should compliment the citra with simcoe. Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations? Thanks
Brandon

Well, amarillo is more of a orange citrus scent. I brewed a ginger lemon pale ale with a lot of citra hops, and their aroma is certainly more smooth and subdued that amarillo, with a kind of soft melon scent. I think either could be good. But I feel like amarillo will be more bright and in your face than citra will be.

inthesound said:
Well, amarillo is more of a orange citrus scent. I brewed a ginger lemon pale ale with a lot of citra hops, and their aroma is certainly more smooth and subdued that amarillo, with a kind of soft melon scent. I think either could be good. But I feel like amarillo will be more bright and in your face than citra will be.

I've used Amarillo before and really enjoyed it. I've never used citra so I know I want to use it. Just not sure which hops to use with it or how much to not overpower the citra

You might look at the Zombie Dust recipe on the forum for inspiration.

ZD is 100% Citra with a simple, but tasty, mash bill.

Franc103 said:
You might look at the Zombie Dust recipe on the forum for inspiration.

ZD is 100% Citra with a simple, but tasty, mash bill.

Yea I've been looking at that one. I don't have quite enough citra for it though

Yea I've been looking at that one. I don't have quite enough citra for it though

It is a VERY hoppy beer. You might just scale all of the additions to the amount you do have. i.e. cut all whole ounces down to .75 and so forth.
I think it will still be great.

i think pairing citra with some simcoe is a good idea

I prefer citra paired with other hops, it falls a little short for me on it's own (although I haven't been able to get Zombie Dust out here)

terrapinj said:
i think pairing citra with some simcoe is a good idea

I prefer citra paired with other hops, it falls a little short for me on it's own (although I haven't been able to get Zombie Dust out here)

Yes I think I'm going to use some simcoe with it and possibly Amarillo if I can figure out appropriate quantities

simcoe seems to have the strongest flavor and aroma to it, depending on what you are going for maybe 2:2:1 citra:amarillo:simcoe

terrapinj said:
simcoe seems to have the strongest flavor and aroma to it, depending on what you are going for maybe 2:2:1 citra:amarillo:simcoe

Yea that's good advice. I definitely want the citra flavor and aroma to dominate a little more

Back