Hurricane burner problem need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJDMusic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my hurricane burner only twice now. Both times the flame seems to blow itself out. There is a loud pop and the flame then only burns inside of the burner. I then have to turn off the gas, turn it back on, and relight the burner. This seems dangerous and kills my boil each time it happens.

Am I doing something wrong, maybe an adjustment is needed on the air plate?

Has anyone else had this problem?

The other cause of the backfire is when the gas flow is turned low enough it can flash back through the burner openings and light off the jet like you describe. Is this a common problem or just once in a while?.

i have this problem and just gave up on them
i own 5 burners and 2 are hurricane
other 3 work great

Sounds like the burner openings are a bit too large, if the flame drops to 1/4" or less it might be flashing back. Did you set the air shutter at high fire or at low firing rate, set it at high fire for yellow flame tips. At low fire the flame may be nearly all yellow from low air flow but should not backfire.

Are you using NG or LP? If LP are you using the proper low pressure regulator?

Do you have a picture of how your burners are setup?

Back