Wiring an outdoor light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Ok, after searching the internet, I cannot find a clear answer. I am trying to install a new lighting fixture near my basement door. Most everything I found on the net was about installing underground wires or they did not include details on the one part I do not quite understand.

HD has a pretty good little kit that includes the light and junction box. I have no problem stripping wire, using wire nuts or working with electricity.

OK, Here is where I am sketchy. I drill a hole through the brick and cinder block. What type of wire do i need to run through it? That wire will go to the junction box (which the light will mount too) Now, what do I need to put where the wire comes into the box in order to seal it? I plan on putting another junction box in the basement upstream of a nearby outlet to provide power to the light (same question here, how to "seal" the wires coming into the box?) After every thing is mounted, wired, and tested, I plan on filling the remainder of the drilled hole with Great Stuff.

Sorry for rambling, but basically my questions are what type to wire do I need and how do I seal the wire doing into the box? Thanks.

Oh, one more, does the ground coming into the light's box get attached to the inside of the box anywhere?

Most boxes have a green grounding screw to attach the ground wire to. Are you using conduit between boxes? The exterior boxes have a weather proof seal/gasket and the conduit will keep out moisture. 14 g should be fine.

220 GFCI through Brick Exterior - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

here is a good description to go through the wall. use grey pvc for burial if approved for your location and dont forget to put gfci breaker. and ensure it works. if you run the wire into a box on the outside consider putting a double gang box in and put a outlet with gfci and weather proof housing as this will give you a good usable outlet

for the pvc to box connection use a coupler and box nuts. if i have time tomarrow i will grab some parts and snap some pics. or i will use mc

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.AS...hDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=7945K31

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.AS...DtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=7513K311

the wire that is rated for direct underground burial or outside use will be labeled "UF". it is readily available

Latest posts

Back