Using distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sulli

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have decided to start making Kombucha again after a 20 year break.

20 years ago the internet was in its infancy, and I had limited information on making Kombucha; It's been so long I don't even remember what my process was, so I am re-learning how to do it.

Has anyone tried using distilled water?

And, does someone have a basic recipe they could post up for me?

Any help will be much appreciated, Thanks.

I have not used distilled water.

The recipe I use is as follows:

1 gallon water
4-6 tea bags (I like to use 4 bags of green, and 2 bags of black.)
1 cup of sugar.

Boil water, add sugar until dissolved. Remove water from heat, add tea bags, steep as usual (I go about 6 minutes).

Chill the tea until around 70-80 degrees.

Add SCOBY and top off with 1 cup or more of your previous batch or "starter tea."

If you're growing from scratch, do a partial batch and add a bottle of original, raw GT Kombucha. Let it go until you have a healthy scoby, then do the recipe above.

Cheers! :mug:

I do not use distilled water. I use hard well water. It seems to yield a good product. I guess the thought might be that the organisms like the trace minerals in the water. Though if using cane juice or something that still has a bit of the sugar cane mineral content left (rather than GMO bleached white beet sugar for example) they would get some minerals from that. I've also take to adding a pinch of azomite to each batch of makeup tea. Supposedly what the organisms do not like is simply unfiltered city water, mainly because of the chlorine or other chemicals.

Back