Help me figure out what these are...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
I was helping my FIL clean out his parent's garage after they passed. We uncovered two of these. They appear to be air to liquid heat exchangers of some sort. I brought them home hoping to use them in my brewing process as a chiller. I got around to looking more into them today and can't seem to figure out a way to hook up liquid lines.

The red caps on the top (same on bottom), seem to be the logical places to hook up lines, so I removed them. They have threaded rods attached to both top and bottom caps, pulling the rods reveals a through passage of course, but the "spacers" between fins of the chiller are just small "bushings and each level can move and become out of sync. This makes me believe it is not a liquid cooler as the passages would not be liquid tight.

Labeled on one of the tops is "Air Flow --->"

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

I'm kind of stuck on that thought right now, Thinking about running food grade tubing down each passage and using this as a head sink/chiller in a cooler of ice water.

"Labeled on one of the tops is "Air Flow --->""

I missed this part, these are def electric airfilters, I don't think there is anyway to pump anything through them.

Well I thought of grabbing some stainless tubing where the OD is the same as the Diameter of the rods in the unit now, then linking them together with silicone tubing and pumping through that.

I admire your creativity. It's pretty awesome that you find something weird like that and instantly ask how it can be used to better your brewing.

Latest posts

Back