Saison at FG. Should I cold-crash/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcquistion

Reaction score
I'm following Jamil Zanashef's recipe for a Saison and it involved starting the fermentation at 20C for 2 days, then raising 1 degree C for 7 days. I'm at day 10. I just checked the gravity and it was supposed to finish at 1.006, but it is already 1.000!

This may be good, since Saison is supposed to finish very dry, but I won't be able to bottle for a few more days.

I'm concerned about the gravity lowering any more (since it is a little too low already) and I'm also concerned about the cloudiness of the beer. From what I understand, a little cloudiness may be appropriate for this style, but it is pretty darn cloudy!

Should I cold-crash this beer for a few days to stop fermentation and promote clearing? If so, what temp?

*EDIT* OG was 1.065. FG supposed to be 1.006. I used White Labs Saison WLP 565 yeast and 1.8L starter. 5.5 gallon batch.

*EDIT 2* I bottle-condition and don't keg, so I can't afford to kill the yeast or I won't be able to carbonate.

I'm concerned about the gravity lowering any more (since it is a little too low already) and I'm also concerned about the cloudiness of the beer. From what I understand, a little cloudiness may be appropriate for this style, but it is pretty darn cloudy!

Should I cold-crash this beer for a few days to stop fermentation and promote clearing? If so, what temp?

Too low? In a saison? No way, it'll be great!

I wouldn't recommend cold crashing to stop fermentation... if it's not done and fermentation restarts in the bottle your could have more carbonation than you planned for. Although at 1.000 you probably don't have to worry about bottle bombs, you really don't have too much left to ferment... Have you calibrated your hydrometer and you're sure it's 1.000?

If you're only on day 10 I'd give it a little more time and see if more yeast drops out on it's own. Otherwise it's up to you, if you're concerned with clarity and have the capability I don't see why cold crashing would hurt, but I'd give it another week or more to finish fermenting and let the yeast clean up after itself before you do that.

Fermentation is done when it is done. We can't decide where we want it to be, the yeast does that. If it is at 1.000 then most likely it is done, but let it sit a little longer.

I agree. Let it be. You probably have a tasty saison on your hands.

Do like any other beer. Wait for it to finish, bottle and enjoy

Edit:typo

Back