New to Cider... Looking for some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eximius

Reaction score
Been reading for quite a while on here now. Got all my equipment and started a 5 gallon batch last night.

4.7 Gallons Mussleman's Apple Cider (Pasteurized, No Preservatives)
1lb Dark Brown Cane Sugar
1 Can Apple Juice Concentrate
Wyeast 4766 Smack Pack
1 Tbsp Yeast Nutrient

FG = 1.059
Temp = 70F

Sanitized with Star San and Everclear. Blow off tube with air lock on the end and filled with Everclear until yeast settles down.

So my questions are...

1) How will I know when fermentation is complete?

2) I have...
Pectic Enzyme
Campden
Potassium Sorbate
Gelatin Finnings
Sparkolloid

So if I want clear cider, what do I add and when? (After fermentation and racking to secondary, during fermentation?)

3) So fermentation is complete, do I kill off the yeast before racking to secondary and if so how long and what temps do I cold crash? If not cold crashing then what should I add and how much?

4)Upon bottling, how is it flat? I would like to avoid bottle bombs and am not sure about having active yeast to carbonate. Not going to keg.

Any other recommendations for what I have going?

1) How will I know when fermentation is complete? Taste it/take a hydr reading. If you want a semi-dry or sweet you have to do this or it will go down to very dry. I taste and stop the process when it hits my target.

2) I have...
Pectic Enzyme - I am pretty sure you are too late on this one, but starting with a clean juice no big deal
Campden- not necessary with past apple juice
Potassium Sorbate - If you want to stop it per #1
Gelatin Finnings - Never used it
Sparkolloid - Never used it

3) So fermentation is complete, do I kill off the yeast before racking to secondary and if so how long and what temps do I cold crash? If not cold crashing then what should I add and how much? Not if you want carbonation in the bottle.

4)Upon bottling, how is it flat? I would like to avoid bottle bombs and am not sure about having active yeast to carbonate. Not going to keg. They call it still and very good, more of a personal preference on the carbing.

Any other recommendations for what I have going? You can past. the bottles after carb to avoid bombs. See the sticky in this section.

Back