Heading to Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I will be up in Chicago next weekend for a wedding and am looking for things to do in the while in town. We are staying around the navy pier and I have been utilizing the rate beer places reviews for things to do around town. I figured I would put it out there for the forum for any suggestions. Already planning on searching some of the breweries I can't get down south (ie new Glarus, 3 Floyd's, founders). I have been to Chicago before so the usual tourist stuff I have probably scene, I'm looking for anything new. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Goose Island wrigleyville is pretty sweet. I went there last year after a cubs game. Really good food.

Two Brothers roundhouse in Aurora is good too. It's also in the same building as the Aurora trainstation.

Took me 28 years of living here to make it to the skydeck in the 'sears' tower...if you get a clear day, make it up there...also, there's a bar that's free to get up there on the 96th floor of the hancock...may as well get a drink for the same price as getting to the observation deck.

I figured you have your beer plans down...

Revolution brewing++
Haymerket -
Goose Island at Goose Island ++
Rock Bottom - will do in a pinch
Food wise, check out the Fulton Market restaurants area, with Publican (with great beer list)++, and Girl and Goat. Hang on to your wallet though as those menus can drain it pretty fast. But, damn good food!

New Glarus is in WI... a good 3 hours from Chicago. And only distributed in WI, AFAIK. But fantastic.

Goose Island Green Line is a draft-only, Chicago-only pale ale, one of my favorites...many city pubs have it.
Two Brothers is great out in the burbs - they're doing special releases right now to celebrate 15 years, some are pretty tasty.

If you go to 3 floyds get there right when they open. My wife and I thought we would be okay at 4 but the line was out the door and I've heard it usually is.

I'd just stay in the city or take the train if I we're you. Traffic can be a ***** especially because it's construction season. Even on a saturday.

Well......without knowing your tastes in activities, in a city like Chicago that has pretty much everything it's a bit difficult to be specific. Since we're about beer here on HBT, and I think the breweries I'd visit have already been mentioned, how about some watering holes?

Hop Leaf: take Red Line North to Andersonville, on Clark just S. of Foster. Both beer selection and food are great.

Fat Cat Bar: On North Broadway just N. of Lawrence.

Map Room: If they don't have it on tap, no one else does, either. Armitage & Hoyne in Bucktown.

Clark Street Ale House: Old school, nice selection of beers, downtown W. side of Clar between Chicago and Superior. No food, but just a block or so from:

Cafe Iberico: Downtown, on LaSalle between Chicago & Superior. If you like tapas, go here and be gratified. If you don't know what tapas are, go here and find out at an excellent level.

Just really too many more to list...

Rico has some good suggestions. I just moved away from the northside to MN and I miss Chicago. a couple of must-sees:

1. forget Goose Island (its allright, I guess) Head to the north end of the city you will find three things VERY worth experiencing. (ok more than 3)
a. Hopleaf, one of my favorite places to go, EXCELLENT beer selections
b. The Long Room, quieter than Hopleaf, almost as good a selection and a bit cheaper.
c. HalfAcre Brewery - one of the best micro brew places I have experienced. (their Over Ale is killer)
d. Metropolitan brewery - not bad, but if you are in the area.
e. Acre Restaurant - amazing food, specializes in rarer beers.

2. Two brothers and Flossmore Station from the burbs put out good brews, get some if you can find it.

3. The Celtic Knot, Irish pub up north in Evanston, bit more of a drive but I think the trains go up there. Great food, irish beer on tap, and awesome atmosphere. Sat nights they have live music (bluegrass sometimes).

I am jealous, have fun in the City!

In Chicago Goose Island or Pipe Works are good
If you have a car and don't mind driving about 50 minutes, Three Floyds or Two Brothers Round House.

Two Brothers has great fish tacos and if you like IPA's have their Hop Juice IPA right now.

Check out Piece Pizza and Brewery in Wicker Park. Awesome beer and pizza.

Yea this is a good reasonable suggestion. Also, I agree with Goose Island and Revolution. Map Room isn't a brewery but they have the biggest beer list in the city...it's insane. Several of the places you listed are pretty far away and if you're staying near Navy-Pier traffic is going to crush you going in and out of the city like that. If you do go out to the suburbs go to Two Brothers! There are a lot of other good suggestions people made here in the city, just look at them on the map and pick a few ones that are easy commutes. Let us know where you end up!

Yea this is a good reasonable suggestion. Also, I agree with Goose Island and Revolution. Map Room isn't a brewery but they have the biggest beer list in the city...it's insane. Several of the places you listed are pretty far away and if you're staying near Navy-Pier traffic is going to crush you going in and out of the city like that. If you do go out to the suburbs go to Two Brothers! There are a lot of other good suggestions people made here in the city, just look at them on the map and pick a few ones that are easy commutes. Let us know where you end up!

The burbs and places like Two Brothers, Flossmoor Station, and Three Floyds are one thing.....but the places I listed, and a lot of the other places in the city are easily accessed by the EL; no traffic, no fuss, no bother. We wouldn't even think about driving around while we're up in the city...

I see a lot of suggestions for Two Brothers Roundhouse and agree completely. Except no one has mentioned that you can simply hop on the Metra commuter train and take it to Aurora. The Roundhouse I'd right in the Metra station parking lot at the Aurora stop.

I phrased my original post wrong. I don't plan to go to the breweries, I just want to search the beers out and give them a try. I have had plenty of 3 Floyd's as my bro-in-law lives in Indy. I was hoping to pick some up to take home but have heard it can be scarce. Any suggestions on where to buy? I know there is a Binny's around the corner from my hotel.

jakead said:
I phrased my original post wrong. I don't plan to go to the breweries, I just want to search the beers out and give them a try. I have had plenty of 3 Floyd's as my bro-in-law lives in Indy. I was hoping to pick some up to take home but have heard it can be scarce. Any suggestions on where to buy? I know there is a Binny's around the corner from my hotel.

Binny's will be your best bet for retail craft beer

Then in that case.

Must Buys:
1. Halfacre (their Overale, Gossamer are awesome, Daisycutter is pretty good)
2. Two Brothers (their RyIPA is killer, so is their french country ale. Stout is pretty good)

Should try if you can find it
1. FLossmorr Station
2. Metropolitan.

Pipeworks is a new startup, all bombers, great brews, all binnys get their self-distributed beers...but they're small batch, so no guarantee they'll have any.

Half acre is great, buy your favorite style (I'm not a fan of their gossamer, but I don't like the style)

5 rabbits has some...interesting brews. worth a try, they're recipes are conjured up by randy mosher

Well if you are just looking to bring beer home, then binnys is your best bet. No new glarus in Illinois though, you'd have to go to the Wisconsin border for it. As for stuff you can't get down south, here is my guess:
Founders
Finchs
Half acre
5 rabbit
Argus
Two brothers

Argus and Finchs are hit or miss, so if you are stuck deciding, get the other four lol. 5 rabbits recipes are designed by randy mosher (author of radical brewing)...and oddly enough, their beer is contract brewed at argus, but far better Haha.

Two brothers is releasing 15 anniversary beers this year, don't think you get them down south and its likely these ones are limited, they have all been pretty solid, and not too expensive. The mild is great.

If you grab a hoppy founders be sure you check the bottle date, I've gotten some poor tasting centennial Ipa from them when it wasn't fresh. And all day Ipa is a must, delicious beer.

Other than that, just walk into binnys. You'll spend half hour just looking before you even decide. Ask an employee what's new and not available down south, they are usually pretty good about recommendations.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ill use this as my roadmap this weekend.

Back