Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you there!! I use it for bittering because anything else is just disgusting. It smells and taste like cat pee smells.

I hope that's not true! I'm bottling a vienna simcoe smash ipa this weekend and I've never brewed with simcoe before. It smelled delicious on brew day and during dry hopping.

temple240 said:
I hope that's not true! I'm bottling a vienna simcoe smash ipa this weekend and I've never brewed with simcoe before. It smelled delicious on brew day and during dry hopping.

Some people like it. Hopefully you do. It's my opinion. I love home brewing but hate it. It recked me, made my taste buds very sensitive to flavors and flaws even in commercial beers. Before I just drank it and grabbed another!

I strongly hate the Saaz.

Funnily enough, one of my favourite beers as a teenager was the Jenlain. Then their brewery was bought and I started to dislike the beer not long after, the bitterness was just "off". I guess the fact that they started to use Saaz (common in Alsacian beer) is the reason for that (I actually figured this out quite recently). It is sad to see a good beer being ruined because the new owners decided that it was fine to change the hops for the ones every other brewery in the group was using...

I'm not a fan of simcoe either. When it's over-used, I find it tastes like someone added a lump of moldy bark to the beer. I like fuggles in Stouts and RIS.

Current favorites are:

• Falconer's Flight: Blended, perfect aroma and flavor for IPA's.
  • Bramling Cross: Magic in porters, scotch/irish ales.
  • Chinook: My go-to bittering hop for American styles.
  • Cascade: Plays well with every kid in the pool.
  • The Noble Hops: Hallertau, Tettnang... great for pale ales.

I don't like Nelson Sauvin... I thought the lager I used them in had an off flavor as a result of some technical flaw on my part. Then I tried Pipeworks' At Her Majesty's Pleasure. Turns out the off flavor was the Nelson. Their flavor and aroma remind me a bit of diacetyl.

I don't like Nelson Sauvin... I thought the lager I used them in had an off flavor as a result of some technical flaw on my part. Then I tried Pipeworks' At Her Majesty's Pleasure. Turns out the off flavor was the Nelson. Their flavor and aroma remind me a bit of diacetyl.

I am finding that Nelson is somewhat fickle as to what it can be paired with. I have brewed the Alpine clone (Duet? can't recall the name) that pairs Nelson with Southern Cross and loved how that turned out. Recently brewed a pilot batch that used Nelson and other Aussie/Kiwi hops (Galaxy & Riwaka) and it turned out completely different - not bad mind you but not what I was expecting based on the Nelson/S. Cross brew. I did notice the diacetyl taste which is interesting but not what I am used to or looking for in an IIPA.

I have ruine more than one beer with Columbus. Especially as a dry hop . Dont get me wrong i like a nice bitter some what dank beer but its just too much. Truly horrible. Saaz always taste like soap to me.

Another fuggles hater here. Tastes like dirt and moldy grass clippings to me. There are a few others I'm not really a fan of and don't use myself (nugget, saaz, etc), but I find them acceptable in certain styles when used sparingly.

I bought a pound of Bravo and used it for bittering in 3 batches and they all have a weird aftertaste that i just cant describe. wont be using it anymore.

Zythos tastes like a bale of grass to me, pretty overrated. And i was so excited about how they wrote the promo describing it....:(

So far, the following have been hated: fuggle, citra, summit, nugget, belma, zythos, styrian goldings, cluster, cascade, magnum, willamette, galena, simcoe, northern brewer, pride of ringwood, saaz, bramling, nelson sauvin, columbus, chinook, centennial.

The following are in need of haters: Amarillo, pacific jade, southern cross, hersbrucker, crystal, ahtanum, warrior, galaxy, sterling, santiam and mt hood.

C'mon, you Amarillo, pacific jade, southern cross, hersbrucker, crystal, ahtanum, warrior, galaxy, sterling, santiam and mt hood haters!

So far, the following have been hated: fuggle, citra, summit, nugget, belma, zythos, styrian goldings, cluster, cascade, magnum, willamette, galena, simcoe, northern brewer, pride of ringwood, saaz, bramling, nelson sauvin, columbus, chinook, centennial.

The following are in need of haters: Amarillo, pacific jade, southern cross, hersbrucker, crystal, ahtanum, warrior, galaxy, sterling, santiam and mt hood.

C'mon, you Amarillo, pacific jade, southern cross, hersbrucker, crystal, ahtanum, warrior, galaxy, sterling, santiam and mt hood haters!

I don't think anyone hates Amarillo. Give it time and you'll probably find haters for the rest though. :p

I feel like there's a really hip trend lately to use Nelson Sauvin and Citra as the primary hops in craft IPAs lately (lagunitas daytime comes to mind), and I think they both lend a real cat-pissy, white grape juice, oily element to beer. Not a fan of either in situations like that. Laughing dog Citra IPA has been the only exception to this in my experience.

Kinda proves the strokes for folks mantra. Lots of opinions. Lots of "advanced" brewers who dislike fuggles. Wonder if it is because they like hoppy beers? I have not, and will not in all liklihood brew an IPA because I am not a hop head. I use fuggles quite a bit, but not enough to really let them get a hold of you. Just a nice mellow amount in malt forward beers. I do like cascades in moderation though. Today is brew day and I'm using Northern Brewer as bittering hops and Cascades as a five min addition in a vanilla bourbon porter. Prost!

Okay, I'll go ahead and hate pacific jade, southern cross, ahtanum, galaxy and santiam, along with anything I missed from New Zealand, since I don't believe these hops actually exist. Except Wakatu, I can't hate anything that's so fun to say.

Pacific jade, southern cross, ahtanum, galaxy and santiam down.

Amarillo, hersbrucker, crystal, warrior, sterling and mt. hood to go.

I bought a pound of Bravo and used it for bittering in 3 batches and they all have a weird aftertaste that i just cant describe.
Interesting. That's been my go-to bittering hop since I also bought a pound of it. I haven't tasted anything weird.

I don't think anyone hates Amarillo. Give it time and you'll probably find haters for the rest though. :p

I said back on page 1 "Most of the popular IPA hops either taste like pinesol, bong water or cat piss to me but I think thats because they always end up in the crazy over hoppy beers and I'd probably like them in moderation." I put simcoe, amarillo, centennial, chinook, CTZ in that list. I don't hate cascade or citra (unless it is the cat pee citra)

LOL and thats why there are a ton of new craftbrews out there!! I think its interesting how each persons palate can be so different. Makes it so much fun to try to brew beer that our friends and families enjoy along with us!!:D

Whenever I use Citra & Simcoe the beers always seem to taste funny to me but I love some of the micro breweries beers that use them so i must be doing it wrong! A local place does a red with Columbus & Citra and it is to die for.

Gotta put another vote in for Summit. I can smell the stale garlic powder from across the room. On a related note, can anyone confirm that this year's Hopslam used Summit?

BTW, I love fuggles in english brown ales, porters.

I have made at least 15 SMaSH beers(all with pale ale or Maris Otter) over the last 5 years. I think the only ones I was not stoked about were
Fuggles- orange dirt
Willamette - earthy boredom
Nugget - wow, just not good on its own
Belma- odd funky berries
These are hops that need to be blended or hidden in a big dark ale. Liberty is a hop that I cannot stand when blended with other hops, but does OK on its own.

By the way, Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River OR did make a 100% Cluster IPA called Clusterf*ck that was actually good.

Duckrabbit Schwarzbier. I don't know what combo of hops they use all I know is it is a combo of Noble. Beer tastes like sour milk blended with coffee. Absolutely hate it, I enjoy the Schwarzbier's from Germany tho.

Never met a hop that I didn't like. I've never once experienced this cat piss phenomenon that everyone loves to hate. Simcoe is probably my #1 stick-my-nose-in-the-bag-and-inhale hop. Are you guys all using old oxidized bargain hops?

Never met a hop that I didn't like. I've never once experienced this cat piss phenomenon that everyone loves to hate. Simcoe is probably my #1 stick-my-nose-in-the-bag-and-inhale hop. Are you guys all using old oxidized bargain hops?

My wife is a hop hater. Fresh, plug, pellet, dried cone, bittering, aroma, flavor. Vehement hater. She especially hated amarillo. I opened a pack in the kitchen today and she got up and left. She was 15' away. Like a drug dog nose.

She has a powerful aversion to cilantro. I think there's some relationship to the hop hate and her dislike of that. Seriously. It's that grassy, pungent thing or something.

My wife is a hop hater. Fresh, plug, pellet, dried cone, bittering, aroma, flavor. Vehement hater. She especially hated amarillo. I opened a pack in the kitchen today and she got up and left. She was 15' away. Like a drug dog nose.

She has a powerful aversion to cilantro. I think there's some relationship to the hop hate and her dislike of that. Seriously. It's that grassy, pungent thing or something.

This.

I cannot handle cilantro. Just one lousy leaf in a dish and I will not be able to eat it.

I am finding that Nelson is somewhat fickle as to what it can be paired with. I have brewed the Alpine clone (Duet? can't recall the name) that pairs Nelson with Southern Cross and loved how that turned out.

Duet uses Amarillo and Simcoe exclusively. The only Alpine beer I'm aware of that uses Nelson is called "Nelson" (and it's fantastic).

So much fuggle hate. I like to pair fuggle and ekg. I'm growing fuggle, and centennial.

willamette doesn't do much for me, but I haven't come across anything I really hate.

My wife also has a very strong aversion to cilantro, but is a huge hop-head. She loves super hoppy IPA's and the smell of hops when I'm measuring them out.

Add me to the list of those who don't care for Cascade. I wouldn't say I hate them, but they should NEVER be used as a bittering hop IMHO. I think Great Lakes ruined their Dortmunder Gold by bittering with Cascade.

I dislike Sorachi Ace strongly. It tastes like coconuts with a splash of Tide detergent.

Back