should I add anything at all???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOWEYWACKER

Reaction score
I will be brewing a nut brown ale tomorrow. I use distilled water and build my water profile based on the grains. My recipe is...

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb Munich
0.25 lb Biscuit
0.50 lb Crysltal 60L
0.38 lb Chocolate
0.25 lb Victory

mash with 3.25 gallons

After adding this bill into the EZ Calculator, I end up with a pH of 5.5 at room temp, which would put me in range at mash temp. Should I be adding any minerals at all? If I do, won't l drop to low on pH? From reading the "Primer Thread" a lot, I see that Yooper adds 1 teaspoon of CaCl2 to brown ales. I was under the impression that brewing with distilled water alone is a NO NO. Your guys thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In my opinion, beers made with very low mineralization water can be kind of bland. That is good in an American Lager, but might not be so appealing in a favorful ale. Its your choice.

Mabrungard, I totally agree. I couldn't see myself adding nothing. Aj, I hoped you would respond. I'm gonna go ahead and add 3 grams of CaCl2. I've only been brewing for a year, so I'll take whatever you guys say, and do it...to a point :)

Thank you once again for your info guys. Quick info like this is what makes joining this forum the best decision I've made in my brewing endeavors.

Latest posts

Back