Secondary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boondoggie

Reaction score
What IS secondary fermentation? I know what a "secondary" is for clearing, and everyone says it's not actually secondary fermantion...

Northern Brewer's kits, some of them specify secondary fermentation... are they talking about an actual process, or just bulk aging in a "secondary"?

it's a misnomer.

It's not really fermenting. It's settling out, clearing up, "cleaning up after itself"
Some folks swear by them, others leave them in the primary until bottling.

your choice.
Secondarys are great for dry-hopping a nice IPA, however.

secondary fermentation overlaps with and continues after primary fermentation. the yeast are cleaning up after themselves. during primary fermentation all kinds of by products are being produced and are cleaned up during secondary fermentation. if the recipe recommends more than a 2 week fermentation i would rack it to a secondary after 2 weeks.

you can safely leave beer on yeast for up to a month.

So the consensus is that Northern Brewer just made the classic mistake of calling a secondary vessel "secondary fermentation"?

So the consensus is that Northern Brewer just made the classic mistake of calling a secondary vessel "secondary fermentation"?

Sort of, I don't see it as a mistake. Secondary fermentation is the right name in the sense that most people now what is required to perform a 'secondary' on their beer. It's just a classic misnomer like 'tin-can' everyone knows what you mean, but it's not made of tin, it's aluminum.

It is confusing though!

Back