Diaphragm pump to move wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaMedic

Reaction score
My buddy wants to toy with the idea of using a diaphragm pump after the chiller to move the wort from the brew pot to the carboy. His theory is that by the time it gets to the pump it will be cool enough for the pump. I don't have any experience with pumps or fluid mechanics. I couldn't find any threads of someone using such a pump for anything other than water. Is this feasible? I'm concerned about sanitation and such... thoughts?

@NinjaMedic Is that a food safe pump, I did not see that info in the description. If it is, it seems like it is a great deal.

diaphragm pumps arent generally food safe because they have a higher number of parts in contact with the liquid being pumped, and all those parts have to be food-safe themselves. they also usually have more crevices to harbor contaminants.

if you dont necessarily care, and use adequate cleaning procedures, i dont see anything wrong with it. they dont flow as fast as an impeller pump and are more difficult to disassemble to clean (due to greater number of parts), but are capable of higher static pressures and are self priming.

Latest posts

Back