Diaphragm pump??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
In 2022 I hope to do a new build I'd really like to use a high flow peristaltic pump but they don't seem to be economically viable, they are very expensive. I like the idea because they are sanitary and self priming I could hook the pumps inlet tube over the side of the kettle rather that fit an outlet port through the side of the kettle.

The other type of pump that would do that is a diaphragm pump but I've never heard of any brewing system that uses such a pump.

My question is simple can diaphragm pumps be used to pump wort on a homebrew scale? Are they worth the trouble?

Thanks All. aamcle

I run a 3 vessel twin mag-pump single tier herms rig and there are times the pumps see fluid temperatures verging on 212°F. Anyone playing in that exotic space is charging exotic money.

The intrinsic problem you're seeing is it is a challenge to find diaphragm temperature specifications that would work brewing beer. I expect the same to be true when considering the tubing used in a peristaltic pump. And note, it's not just temperature, it's temperature at working pressure. One might use a peristaltic pump with silicone tubing at high working temperature but one false move and the tubing is going to blow...

Cheers!

I’ve never used diaphragm pumps in brewing but have used them at work in a chemical plant. They can be a bit of a pain to work on when they have issues compared to a centrifugal pump.

Day_tripper makes a good point about temperature plus, I wouldn’t be too sure about the pulsing flow that they produce.

Another potential headache would be that any solids in the fluid can cause problems with the check valves and decrease the pumping efficiency.

I’ve never used diaphragm pumps in brewing but have used them at work in a chemical plant. They can be a bit of a pain to work on when they have issues compared to a centrifugal pump.

Day_tripper makes a good point about temperature plus, I wouldn’t be too sure about the pulsing flow that they produce.

Another potential headache would be that any solids in the fluid can cause problems with the check valves and decrease the pumping efficiency.
Marine Fresh Water pumps can deliver 3 - 5 GPM, are self priming and the better ones don't really have a strong "pulse" to them.
More than a vane type pump but most use multiple chambers to smooth out the flow.
They certainly won't tolerate high temp liquid though.

Latest posts

Back