Is this normal?!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_lupo

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch and it had this wierd stuff floating on top! Like I said this is my first batch but this just looks strange. It's been 2 weeks today since first putting my batch in my primary. I did not go with a secondary since this was my first batch. This was a KC Blvd Wheat clone if that helps. I know there is krausen but should that all drop down? This was like a ton of little islands of floating tanish brown stuff. This was an extract kit.

SA551240.jpg

I wouldn't call that normal for a beer that is ready to bottle. The tan colored chunks look like Kraeusen that has not yet fallen. It could also be yeast that has clumped together.
You mentioned in another thread that you gravity was high. That information along with your photo has me wondering if the beer finished fermenting. I would keep an eye on those bottles to be sure they don't over carbonate.

RichBrewer said:
I wouldn't call that normal for a beer that is ready to bottle. The tan colored chunks look like Kraeusen that has not yet fallen. It could also be yeast that has clumped together.
You mentioned in another thread that you gravity was high. That information along with your photo has me wondering if the beer finished fermenting. I would keep an eye on those bottles to be sure they don't over carbonate.

Yeah I screwed up and took my final gravity reading after I mixed in my priming sugar.

The thing is my blow off hose stopped burping after 24 hours. I have left it in the bucket for 2 weeks even though I havn't seen and CO2 coming out. No I guess there is a chance that my bucket lid had a small leak but if I push down on the lid I can see the air bubble in my blow off hose move up and down. So I know there was pressure in there.

So if I just leave this batched bottled and they don't explode will I have good beer in 2 weeks? OR should I test a bottle in one week to see if it's over carbonating.

At this point, just leave it alone. If you can, put the bottles in the guest bathtub or someplace where a broken one won't hurt much. Try it after a week, then at two weeks, and three, and four, and...you'll be out of beer by then.

kc_lupo said:
So I just bottled my first batch and it had this wierd stuff floating on top! Like I said this is my first batch but this just looks strange. It's been 2 weeks today since first putting my batch in my primary. I did not go with a secondary since this was my first batch. This was a KC Blvd Wheat clone if that helps. I know there is krausen but should that all drop down? This was like a ton of little islands of floating tanish brown stuff. This was an extract kit.

I have no information about your question, but just wanted to add that Boulevard wheat is one of my favorite beers of all time (originally from KC). Maybe I'll have to pick up the ingredients for this clone when I'm back in KC for Turkey Day.

Ausitn

I had a batch look jusdt like that. It looked strange and I was worried it had gotten moldy/oxygenated/F'd up but I went ahead and bottled it. I waited for it to mellow awhile, like 2 months and it tastes pretty good now.
The lesson I learned is that it is hard to f-up beer. Bad batches may not win awards but they'll be drinkable.
So be patient and you'll end up with something palatable.
Cheers:mug:

You are right.... if your sanitation is good, you have to work real hard at completly screwing up a brew. In short, DWHAHB....

Back