saison slow ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshea3333

Reaction score
brewed an all grain saison with an OG 1.064 on 3/14 grav was 1.064
used the wyeast saison smack pack. 1L starter and fermentation started in about 6 hours. got a good 3-4 in krausen but now on 3/19 my gravity is only down to 1.041. Think im stuck or is this just a really slow ferment. Tasted great when i tried my sample yesterday.

Which strain is it? High temperatures are usually critical for saison yeasts, have you maintained the proper temperatures?

If it's 3724, it's known to stick near there. From Wyeast:

This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures at least 90°F (32°C) or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Ive been keeping it 70-72. I didnt want to go too high and worry about off flavors. I like the funk but dont want to much skunk!

if it is 3724 it needs to be at 85-90. you wont get any "skunk" as you say.

that is also a fairly slow yeast so give it a little more time. it does get stuck at 1.030 so if it does be ready to pitch something else in (i recommend 3711)

Ive been keeping it 70-72. I didnt want to go too high and worry about off flavors. I like the funk but dont want to much skunk!

This yeast is from Saison DuPont, they ferment at 90+ degrees. You won't get much funk keeping it that low!

I didn't know that yeast needed to be so warm. I thought I was warm at 70. Thanks guys, added a carboy heater and will wait and see.

I've yet to get anything unpleasant from any of the wyeast saison strains when fermenting in the 80s

For the Dupont strain, I pitch at 75. Bump it to 78 within 24 hrs, bump to 80 at 48 hrs, bump to 83 at about 4 days. I let it sit at about 83 until end of week 1, then bump it to 86 for week 2, them crank it to 88-90 for week 3. I don't take any readings until the end of week 3. I've never had any problems with it sticking around 1.030 like a lot of people say it does. I did have it stick at 1.010 in my most recent batch but usually get it to about 1.004. I also usually rouse it up at least once a week after the 2nd week.

Also you can leave it on the yeast longer than most yeasts. I've had it in the primary for 4.5 weeks without problem. I do usually get it off the yeast at that point though. This particular yeast is a different animal from the other Sacc yeasts. You have to ferment it hot to get that delicious Saison flavor and aroma.

Back