Specialty IPA: Black IPA Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
nah
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
106-120
Color
46l
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
don\'t bother
Additional Fermentation
nope
Tasting Notes
a really great CDA
3.5 gallon batch

Steeped for 30 at 155 or so, and rinsed with 170 degree water (not a real partial mash, but for some reason rinsing any grains makes me believe I am getting more out of them)

.5lb carafa II
.5lb C60

6.6 lbs dark malt syrup (my LHBS had Briess Dark) (3/4's of one can at boil, last 1/4th and 2nd can at flame out)

2oz. chinook 60 min.
1.25 oz. simcoe 0min.
1.25 oz. amarillo 0min.

1.25 each of simcoe and amarillo for 7 days

US-05

And I must say, holy F'ing hell did this beer turn out great, super pungent and bitter with that citrus blast and slight roasty-ness. Head retention is almost too much also with this beer, which I imagine is from the hop oils and C60, so don't pour it too aggressively when bottle conditioning. I found this recipe at www.brewingtv.com authored by Brett Begani. I mainly just changed the all grain to extract using the dark malt syrup. This CDA is something I will brew again and again, even though I have no idea if its cloned, I've only had one bomber of Stone SSR, but either way, this homebrew is excellent.

I'm extremely new to this and would like to try this recipe since I love stones self righteous ale. Where do I go to purchase ingredients?

Thanks a lot. I have been obsessive on educating myself on brewing the past few weeks and will soon try this recipe.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403382411.059650.jpg
This is the recipe given by Mitch Steele himself in his book "IPA"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Except he calls for a 90 minute boil and the Amarillo and simcoe are added in the whirlpool

I'm planning on brewing this July 1st ( it's my Brew Day) I'm a 1 year old brewer on the first :) so I decided to brew favorite beer

Back