Still cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robodeath

Reaction score
I have a friend that can't drink carbonated beverages but loves cider. Can I just make a batch of cider like I normally do (sodium metabisulfite and backsweeten) and just bottle them? I usually keg everything I make, but if I bottle it after sodium metabisulfite it will not ferment and be a still cider?

I have a friend that can't drink carbonated beverages but loves cider. Can I just make a batch of cider like I normally do (sodium metabisulfite and backsweeten) and just bottle them? I usually keg everything I make, but if I bottle it after sodium metabisulfite it will not ferment and be a still cider?

Yes, but not with sulfite. You need sorbate to prevent yeast reproduction, ans sulfite doesn't do that.

Once the cider is totally and completely clear (has to be to stop re-fermentation), simply rack onto a solution of sorbate and some sulfite (sulfite makes the sorbate work better) and then three days later, sweeten, and then three days after that you can bottle.

Yes, but not with sulfite. You need sorbate to prevent yeast reproduction, ans sulfite doesn't do that.

Once the cider is totally and completely clear (has to be to stop re-fermentation), simply rack onto a solution of sorbate and some sulfite (sulfite makes the sorbate work better) and then three days later, sweeten, and then three days after that you can bottle.

Doh, I meant to say potassium sorbate and campden tablets, I even have a bag of it in my closet.

I work as a winemaker at a place that makes a couple apple wines. Like yooper said, sulfite and sorbate will do the trick. If you have a way of testing sulfites you want to get as close to 50ppm as you can. Also about a gram of sorbate/gal. Maybe .5gram if its on the drier side. After the addition give it some time to settle and youll be good my friend.

Latest posts

Back