Make Shift Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I went to the brew store tonight and while I was there spotted some glass carboys on sale. I bought 2 not not realizing that the mouth is a different size than my better bottles that I normally ferment in. I was planning on moving 10 gallons of cream ale into the new carboys tomorrow, as I am leaving for vacation on Sunday (2 days from now) and don't want them to sit in primary any longer. Any ideas on a makeshift airlock whilst I'm gone? The brewstore is an hour away and I really don't want to make a trip tomorrow. I was thinking a sanitized balloon would work since very little co2 is being produced. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Shawn

How long have they been in primary. Many brewers here skip secondary unless its going to be more than a month in primary. I'd probably leave in primary in this situation.

I used a tube that was really close and then strapped a two inch wide section with enough tape (I use electrical) to fill the rest of the hole and make a nice seal. Then you have a perfect blow-off tube/airlock. The other end goes into water.

I guess you could rack it off into your new carboy, clean and satanize your bb, and then transfer it back.

Latest posts

Back