Back sweetening and priming; Are both necessary to carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipharet

Reaction score
My cider is currently sitting at 1.010. I am going to bottle this week and I want to carb them. The cider taste a bit tart, so I am going to add a can of apple rasberry concentrate.

If I am going to back sweeten is the sugars in the concentrate enought to carb or do I also need to add priming sugars as well?

If you're backsweetening without killing the yeast you may want to consider pasteurizing or refridgerating the bottles after they get to your desired carbonation level.

If you let them sit too long the yeast will eat all of the added sugars and:
1. It'll end up dry again; and
2. The bottles will probably explode.

Refridgerating the bottles will probably slow the yeast down enough to stop them but pasteurising is a bit more of a guarantee since you'd be killing the yeast rather than putting them into a dormant state.

My cider is currently sitting at 1.010. I am going to bottle this week and I want to carb them. The cider taste a bit tart, so I am going to add a can of apple rasberry concentrate.

If I am going to back sweeten is the sugars in the concentrate enought to carb or do I also need to add priming sugars as well?

If it's tasting a little too tart, you may want to think twice about using apple/raspberry concentrate. That might add a little more tartness. Don't get me wrong, I'll use that too now and then to backsweeten. Just thought it may be worth mentioning.

Back