Alright...rack now???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
I posted a while back trying to figure out the best time to rack this honey hybrid brew onto what is going to be around 5 lbs of muscat grapes. The beer started at 1.080 and I let it ferment for 40 hrs down to ~1.050 and then added 3.5 lbs honey which took it back up to ~1.060. Now the beer is down to 1.023 and I'm feeling its safe to rack this baby onto some muscat grapes.

Good idea?

Is the gravity still dropping? How many days has it stayed at 1.023?

its not just about 'low gravity' its about 'consistent low gravity that is at or near the estimated gravity that's in your recipe'.

if this is your own recipe, you need to do your math to estimate where it should terminate.

otherwise you're just guessing...shooting blindly in the dark so to speak.

This is actually the first time I've taken the gravity in probably at least a week. I guess I do need to do that math. What I need to do is get some brewing software (which would require me getting more space on my computer).

Is the gravity still dropping? How many days has it stayed at 1.023?

its not just about 'low gravity' its about 'consistent low gravity that is at or near the estimated gravity that's in your recipe'.

if this is your own recipe, you need to do your math to estimate where it should terminate.

otherwise you're just guessing...shooting blindly in the dark so to speak.

This is actually the first time I've taken the gravity in probably at least a week. I guess I do need to do that math. What I need to do is get some brewing software (which would require me getting more space on my computer).

Give it another 2 days then take the gravity again. If its the same then think about racking. The grapes sound interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

Man, this is embarrassing. But after looking through all of my brewing resources I'm still not 100% sure how to use my recipe and OG to figure out what my target gravity is.

Will definitely update everyone on how it turns out.

Give it another 2 days then take the gravity again. If its the same then think about racking. The grapes sound interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

Beersmith is a very handy program to have around. The way I figure it your OG including the honey would have been 1.090 with a final gravity of 1.023 that's an apparent attenuation of 69% I think most yeasts get around 70-75%, maybe someone who knows more than I can tell you for sure.

It could be done but check it again in 3 days to confirm.

Back