Quick questions from a first timer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwal

Reaction score
Hello, my friends and i were planning to brew some mead, and our biggest problem is where to store it! Can it be stored in an room containing the water heater during the fermentation,, because it get warm in there, about 24 degrees celciys maybe? So a bit over the 70 farenheit ive heard about. Dont have a cellar so thats not an option, any tips and tricks are highly appreciated!

A lower temperature would be better. What size batch are you making? Is there a room in the house that stays cooler than the others?

If you're making it with your friends, your place shouldn't be the only option, should it?

Choose a yeast where such issues are less of a problem. I understand that the only one that is particularly picky with it's temps is D47, which needs to ferment at less than 70F/21C to prevent fusels being produced.

Something like K1V, which has a very wide temperature range, but the 20 to 25 C range would be right in the middle, so probably of little effect on the end product.....

You could lower the temperature inside the fermentation vessel doing this:
Put the carboy (or whatever you are using) inside a water tub with cool water. Wrap the carboy in a large enough t-shirt or towel or something that wicks up the water from the tub it stands in. Check everyday to make sure the water hasn't evaporated and fill up as needed. Use some starsan or other stuff in the water to prevent growth of microorganisms or other bugs.
Should take the temperature down a couple of notches.

Well, i dont have any other room to put it really, but i could vave it at a friends house i guess, the reason why i was having to store it was that i came up with the idea sort of. The batch is only going to be 5L (1 1/4 gallon) and were gonna store it in coke bottles, but ive heard from some people that glass is the way to go, but the kind of vessels that you usually asoiate with brewing can be found where i live... Only 33L brewing buckets...
Thanks for the feedback!!

Back