Yeast harvested from bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
OK, so following people's suggestions on this forum, I believe I successfully harvested some yeast from 6 bottles of Oberon. I stepped it up a couple times, eventually to a 1L starter of 1.040 wort, which the yeast ripped through. I then decanted the wort and poured the slurry (completely) into a mason jar. My question revolves around the remaining trub.

In the jar, there is a definite line dividing the white yeast, from the trub. Am I supposed to somehow get rid of the trub when I pitch to my beer? I suppose its a small enough amount that its not going to matter in the scheme of things, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not missing a step.

PS, going to try to use it to make a hopslam clone. Hopefully it can handle the OG!

I don't think the trub will change the beer your making, but you can separate the trub from the yeast by swirling the jar to get everything back in suspension. Leave it for 3-4 minutes and the trub should settle out leaving the yeast in suspension. Dump the slurry yeast into another sanitized jar.

dpeanut7 said:
Awesome, just the response i was looking for.

I'd wait for another opinion, I haven't been harvesting yeast much.

On another note, this might be a stupid question but can yeast be harvested from commercial beer that is filtered?

PS, going to try to use it to make a hopslam clone. Hopefully it can handle the OG!

It's a very versatile yeast, I've used it on anything from a mild at 1.035 to a Hopslam clone close to 1.090 after the honey addition. I recently brewed a Two-Hearted Ale clone with third-generation Bell's yeast and it hit close to 80% attenuation. Good luck with yours!

I also harvested this yeast from oberon and was amazed, it flew through the ferment of my blond ale and just tossed the slurry into a wheat and it started right away.

On another note, this might be a stupid question but can yeast be harvested from commercial beer that is filtered?
No, I don't think so. Maybe if it were bottle conditioned after filtering, but I'd think, if that's even done, they would use a bottling strain for carbing.

I never worry about a little trub from a starter. In a big beer like Hopslam it won't make any difference. I have a bell's harvest going right now for my 2 hearted clone, and have never separated my starter. It certainly won't hurt, but not really necessary.

Latest posts

Back