Underpitching Dunkelweizen w/ WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy_Hops

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first Dunkelweizen this Friday and am debating whether or not to make a starter.

I want to go for banana more than clove, and I've heard in various places that under-pitching & stressing hefe. yeast creates more of those banana esters. :ban:

Would pitching a single WLP300 vial into the batch get me what I'm looking for or is that under-pitching overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Holy_Hops said:
I'm brewing my first Dunkelweizen this Friday and am debating whether or not to make a starter.

I want to go for banana more than clove, and I've heard in various places that under-pitching & stressing hefe. yeast creates more of those banana esters. :ban:

Would pitching a single WLP300 vial into the batch get me what I'm looking for or is that under-pitching overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Www.yeastcalc.com
Plug in the numbers at this site and go slightly less than the full pitch rate and you should be fine. Also ferment towards the higher range of the strain and you'll get your bananas:ban:

Back