Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently on my third batch of brew and have a couple of questions. The first two batches have come out okay...drinkable, yes...but nothing I can say I'm proud of yet. So far, both (German Hefe and Belgian White) have tasted very "thin." The flavor is pretty good but there is very little aftertaste/mouthfeel. Perhaps I'm a bit critical of my own beers b/c I'm used to "bigger" beers (although I love beers like Weihenstaphaner, Leffe, Allagash White, etc.

Anway...thought I'd brew up the Houblonmonstra Tripel IPA extract kit from NB. Here's my question: I brewed on 5/22...secondary on 6/11, and thinking about bottling this weekend. I tasted it last night and the flavor has defintely changed since 6/11. Hop flavor has subsided and now there's a bit of a sharp aftertaste (maybe a bit of an alcohol bite). I'm hoping time helps even this out a bit...so, does it make sense to bottle this weekend, or does it make sense to leave in secondary for a full month or longer?

BTW...I fermented this one on the low end (about 64-65 degrees) for two weeks and then bumped up to 70 for the last week of primary and sitting around 70 in secondary.

while it wasn't the kit, I brewed Houblon's chouffe IPA clone a few months ago, and it's exactly like your describing. little sharp at the end.

i lager'd it per houblon's directions, it was 2wks primary at 75F, then 3 weeks lager at 35F, then keg, carb, and drink.

I would bottle condition for a couple months but I am assuming the beer is done fermenting. The only way to know for sure is to take your hydrometer readings.

Back