Apfelwein- it will be okay, they said!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a batch of this apfelwein I keep hearing all about yesterday afternoon.

5 gal Great Value apple juice- no preservatives
2lb brown sugar (could not acquire corn sugar)
5 tsp yeast nutrient (didnt want any rhino farts)
1 packet Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast

Followed all directions- except with my two minor substitutions. Against my better judgement, I went ahead and put it in a five gallon carboy instead of my primary fermenter (which is currently in use). Left about 5 inches of air space.

The cat woke me up extra early this morning, so I get up to go make some coffee, and behold! The apfelwein is bubbling like crazy, coming out of the airlock, and it is not relenting.

Most everything I have read on this site has said not to worry! It wont bubble over!

I think it may have bubbled up so much because (a) i used yeast nutrient, and my little buddies are extra happy and productive right now and/or (b) premier cuvee is a much more active ferment than montrachet.

to fix this:
I suppose I will rack into a six gallon carboy for the extra headspace for a week?
is there anything else i should do? is this a bad idea?

also,

what is a blowoff tube?

thank you!!

You used the wrong yeast, that is why it is bubbling over. The original apfelein post clearly states montrachet yeast is the reason you don't need a lot of headspace.

Back