Christmas belgian dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxkiskekyxx

Reaction score
Trying to make a dark Belgian with a friend flavored with figs plums and chestnuts. I was thinking about roasting them to increase the road tines and play down the fatiness of the nuts. Is there a better way to lower the fat content but retain flavor and what is a typical Belgian grain bill like? Also any yeast suggestions?

Flying Fish uses chestnuts in their Exit 8 Brew.

I emailed the brewery asking them how they used them. Here is the response I got.

Chestnut flour in the mash and boiled whole chestnuts (no shell) for the first 30 minutes.

Cheers

Read some of the recipes in the recipe database https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/ to get a good idea of the grain bill for a dark Belgian. Basically they are mostly pils, and then maybe some caramunich, and Special B. Use some D-180 or D-90 syrup to give color and flavor. Get the BU:GU ratio to about .29.

For yeast I like 3787 followed closely by 1214. Both very good yeasts.

enjoy.

I can't think of what a chestnut tastes like right now, but I recently used hazelnuts in a beer a learned a couple things:

1. Hazelnuts are relatively tasteless unless toasted
2. The fat in the nuts is nothing to worry about, just rack from under the oil slick on the top.
3. Extract is much easier to use since the flavor is already dissolved in alcohol, and you can easily make your own extract from nuts+vodka
4. I don't know how many a 'couple' is

Back