Which hops preserve beer best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMillerTime

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question...but I'm planning on making a beer for a buddy of mine whom will be deployed to the middle east this summer.

I'm planning a special beer that will taste great, even if it isn't at ideal temperature. Basically, since the "delivery process" could take quite some time to reach him (and experience temperature extremes) I was wondering which hops would help preserve the beer best; bittering hops or aroma hops? Or doesn't it matter as long as there's a fair amount of hop oils in the beer?

Thought this was a very good question so did some looking around. The assumption can be made that it the preservative effect is directly related to the alpha acid content. Supporting info is below.. Hope this helps!

From John Palmer:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

"Hops are a natural preservative and part of the early use of hops in beer was to preserve it. Hops were added directly to the cask after fermentation to keep it fresh while it was transported. This is how one particular style of beer, India Pale Ale, was developed. At the turn of the 18th century, British brewers began shipping strong ale with lots of hops added to the barrels to preserve it over the several month voyage to India. By journey's end, the beer had acquired a depth of hop aroma and flavor. Perfect for quenching the thirst of British personnel in the tropics."

From a research paper on Hops:

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/sewalish_andr/Humulus%20Lupulus%20-%20Common%20Hops/Hop%20Anatomy%20and%20Chemistry%20101.html

"Another very important aspect of alpha acids are there antiseptic nature. Before the usage of hops, high alcohol content was the only way to make beer last a long time. The addition of hops (especially the alpha acids) to beer helped prevent unwanted growth of bacteria (Gram positive), and on the other hand enhanced the ability of yeast to grow and ferment the wort to beer."

I would suggest an IPA with a high AA variety bittering hop, something like Magnum, Chinook or Warrior. A little off-topic: not to throw off your good intentions, but check with the military regs in the area that he will be deployed. Some of the mid-east postings are dry, and you wouldn't want to cause any trouble for him.

Latest posts

Back