Looking for Lost Abbey - Judgment Day Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry know this is a kinda old post but been using it to start messing around with a quad recipe and was wondering if anyone perhaps you lucky, can tell me bout the hops used in the last recipe... the East Kent goldings and the challenger. From what i can find they seem to be clean not very interesting hops i have never used them so any info or input about them would be appreciated from you guys i was thinking maybe swapping one or both out for something a lil more intense or atleast along the lines or flavor profiles i think of when i think quad.. perhaps Perle(german) or brewers gold(german) again hops i have no experience with so if anyone has any input on the matter it would be appreciated... thanks guys

6My notifications seem somewhat sketchy from this site but I will but I will try to answer the questions since last post on here. The hops are the same ones they used in the original. I think they were looking more from the raisin character and more clean, light bittering. For a quad this is really a good combination. Challenger is a Northern Brewer variant and EKG adds earthy and spice. For this beer the hops are not on the forefront. Think raisin. It is a little sweet but hides alcohol to the point where it is dangerously deceptive. This is a 10.5% beer but it is easy to drink.

One thing this beer benefits from is age. Early on it was good but now that it has had some time on it, the beer is definitely getting better. I think this clone is very close. I have to find somewhere close to St Louis to get a bottle of the real thing again and do a side by side. From memory, this seems almost exact. I am getting ready to re-brew with the exact same recipe. The only thing I am changing is fire roasting the raisins on the secondary.

The beer has kind of a wine note with lots of malty flavors. Hops are not noticeable in this beer. I carbed this to almost 3 vols but it does not have bite from it. Next round will be all bottle conditioned and cellared for about 2 years.

How much of the raisin flavor came through? For the 5 gallon batch, what amount of raisin works best? Can you tell the difference between different raisin types too? Did you go with the puree?

How much of the raisin flavor came through? For the 5 gallon batch, what amount of raisin works best? Can you tell the difference between different raisin types too? Did you go with the puree?

A lot of raisin flavor came through on this. It translates in to almost a wine flavor. I think the two raisins balance each other and picking them out is not really possible. I think the lighter raisins prevent the beer from veering too close to actual wine since they have a much different flavor than the regular purple.

I did puree the raisins with vodka and left them in the secondary for 10 days. That really made a difference in the flavor. Also keep in mind this is batch is 11 gallons so you will have to scale it.

In the flamethrower video, the raisins do not appear to be part of boil process as they are torched then the hopback is flooded with wort. Being the hopback, I suspect it was post-boil.

Raising this post from the dead. In my latest attempt, I went off what Ultra said in the post before this. I took 3 lbs of raisins and hit them with a torch. I added them at flameout and the results were near dead on. This is the last one I brewed and I started it in December of last year and just bottled it tonight after a long secondary. I tasted it and the raisin flavor held up really good. I am sticking with this recipe. It seems like a pretty good clone. Make a super big starter for this.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 01 - Judgement Day Clone V3
Brewer: Dave Daniels
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.75 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 18.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
21 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt - 2 Row (Rahr) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 60.9 % 1.66 gal
5 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 % 0.39 gal
2 lbs Crystal Malt I - 45L (Thomas Fawcett) (45.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 % 0.16 gal
2 lbs Dark Crystal Malt I - 85L (Thomas Fawcett) (85.0 Grain 4 5.7 % 0.16 gal
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.4 % 0.04 gal
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.4 % 0.01 gal
4 lbs Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (1.0 SRM) Sugar 7 11.5 % 0.30 gal
3.00 oz Challenger [5.60 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 8 22.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 3.1 IBUs -
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 - -
3.00 lb Raisin (Boil) Flavor 11 - -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs -
2.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [5000.00 ml] Yeast 13 - -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 34 lbs 14.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 39.59 qt of water at 163.4 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 5.00gal, 5.00gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Latest posts

Back