Carbination in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm still pretty new to brewing, having only bottled my second batch (Oktoberfest) about a month ago, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I opened the first couple bottles last week to try the brew after it had been conditioning for a few weeks. I poured the beer into pre-chilled mugs, and got a respectable head on each beer.

A few days later I grabbed a couple more bottles and did the exact same thing; same mugs pre-chilled. This time there was very little head. Is it because perhaps I poured a bit differently, or is it likely that these bottles were not as carbed or lost there carb via some undetected loss of air-tightness? When I DID open each bottle, they ALL had what I refer to as the Beer Genie, (the misty fogginess beneath the cap of a freshly opened beer).

All the beers tasted fantastic.

A few things could be going on here...

1)Priming sugar didn't get mixed in evenly in the bottling bucket.
2)Some bottles are warmer than others in the area they are stored.
3) Or, some caps aren't sealed as well as others..

Just give it a few weeks, and everything will probably be fine!

I've gotten some of that in my batches. Each bottle is a mini fermentation unto itself. Plus the beer in boxes can be a bit warmer toward the center,& cooler toward the outer parimiter of the container. So some carb faster. Where the boxed bottles are kept also has a lot to do with it. Just make sure it's a warm spot of at least 70F. And give them another week or two.

The above info is spot on, as a rule of thumb you should store your bottles for a minimum of 3 weeks at 70-72 degrees (darker beer can take longer), 2 days minimum in fridge, 1 week is better, 2 weeks is best for head and carbonation retention.

Ahhh...maybe tempura tire is the root of the problem. I keep all my beers in the basement, which is usually about 65-66 degrees. :cool:

Thanks All!

They def need to be a tad warmer to carb/condition in a more normal time frame. Some of mine took a lot longer to carb half decent at cooler temps during the colder parts of winter here. Heater couldn't keep up sometimes. So the carbonation would be low after a month or 2 ime. Wanna get a bench capper to eliminate one possibility.

Could also be the cleanliness of the glass; not to say your glasses were dirty but detergent residue, dishwasher spots, drying the glasses with a less then clean rag after the last use could all leave surfactants behind that could inhibit head too.

Yeah,even if I use a dish sponge that's had most of the soap squeezed out,I have to rinse the glasses well & wipe dry imediatly to get that enzyme of the glass,or it dries on. It's that enzyme in dish soaps that makes the water run off & not make spots that kills the head. It never touches my bottles.

Back