Wychcraft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BranCookie

Reaction score
I had Wychcraft by Wychwood for the first time this weekend. What a great beer!! Does anyone have an extract clone recipe? I would love to brew this tasty beer in the near future. Thanks to all in advance.

Here is the info from their site:

Epitomising the brewer's art, Wychcraft blends into the cauldron a hat full of pale barley and a pinch of Cara malt.

Once bubbled up with three infusions of Styrian Golding hops a potion of mystical dry biscuit flavour is conjured with an extravagant burst of citrus aroma.

Ritual defiance to anyone questioning the loss of the brewer's art.

4.5% in bottle
Bottle: 500ml
Cask: seasonally
Hops: Fuggles and Styrians
Malts: Lager and Caramalt

And here is a recipe I found from THIS website
Category Light Hybrid Beer
Subcategory Blonde Ale
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 2.5 gal.
Volume Boiled 3.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 5.50 lbs.
Total Hops 1.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 213.7
Cost to Brew $12.75 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.48 (USD)

3.00 lbs. English 2-row Pils
2.00 lbs. English 2-row Lager
0.50 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
0.5 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.25 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.25 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1028 London Ale

Predicted
Original Gravity 1.054
Terminal Gravity 1.012
Color 4.78 °SRM
Bitterness 25.7 IBU
Alcohol (%volume) 5.5 %

I am a huge fan of the Wychcraft brews, I have a couple case of Hobgoblin clone downstairs per the above mentioned recipe, it's a winner! At least in our household. :)

That looks reasonable to me. It's not a quick process but I'd brew it and do a side by side,. It's something to start with.
I'm struggling to brew at present but I think I'd like to add this one to my list of house recipes.
We could work on it between us.

I drink the Cask version all the time. It'll taste different to keg and bottled versions.

I am finally getting around to brewing my wychcraft clone. This is what im thinking for an extract version.

5 gals

6lbs light liquid extract
.5lbs cara pils
.5lbs morris otter

1oz Fuggles 60min
1oz Stryian goldings 15min
1oz Stryian goldings 5min

Windsor dry yeast

What do you guys think about the morris otter just to give it a fresh grain taste?

I drink a bottle of this last night actually.
I don't know if my taste buds were playing up but I though it wasn't up to much.
Not what I remembered from the last time I drank it. I liked it.
I also though it's not that blonde! It's definitely a good amber colour.

By orfy

I brewed the recipe above last night with midwest's gold extract and Wyeast British ale 1098 instead of Windsor. It smelled great and when I got up this morning it was fermenting away. I'm excited to see how this one turns out, Ive never used Styrian goldings before. Hopefully it will be close to the original Wychcraft.

Bringing this thread back from the dead!

I was at the local beer store last night and saw a single bottle of wychcraft on the shelf. Being a huge hobgoblin fan and that being the only other beer I've seen from wychwood brewery, I bought it.

Just tried it out and I like it! Poured a nice golden color, a little hazy. Not a whole lot of malt flavor, a little on the light side and a little citrusy, which I like. I'm not a hop head and was expecting a big hop flavor from the advertised "thrice hopped" but it wasn't over the top. All in all a great beer, will definitely buy some more if I can find it. I love the Wychwood theme!

image-577039682.jpg

image-2621832653.jpg

Back