$200,000 worth of beer, GONE. QQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidanpryde18

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1924118[/ame]

Sorry, I know this isn't homebrewing, but this is ruining beer on a massive scale. And we can all relate to that on some level.

I think it was actually vodka and champagne, but still a waste of good booze.

Yeah that looked like some crappy shelving for all of that weight combined with a crappy fork lift driver.

I'm in the material handling business. First a minor correction: that's not shelving; it's pallet rack.

It's impossible to tell if the rack is adequate for the load but it looks like this isn't a capacity issue.

The upright post that the driver hit in the cross aisle is unprotected. However, at the speed he was going even a bollard sunk into the concrete would *probably* not have stopped him.

The bottom line for me is that you simply can't idiot proof everything. Having said that, the driver did the right thing and stayed with the forklift. If he had tried to jump off and run, he probably would've been killed. Hopefully he was wearing his seatbelt which would've prevented him from having to make that decision.

The only flashing lights I see are the lights mounted on the forklift that come on after the impact. The truck is probably equipped with a Shockwatch system or something similar which shuts the truck off and sometimes sounds an alarm when the truck hits something.
Is there another light that I'm missing?

Forklift + Pallet Rack = :cross:

We showed this one in our safety meetings a few months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe my company is proactive but all our pallet racks are anchored into the concrete, seems as if this might be a standard. We have racks that people have run into with fork lifts that are mangled pretty good yet no collapse, ours only go like 3 levels up though.

The only flashing lights I see are the lights mounted on the forklift that come on after the impact. The truck is probably equipped with a Shockwatch system or something similar which shuts the truck off and sometimes sounds an alarm when the truck hits something.
Is there another light that I'm missing?

Exactly. I meant flashing hazard lights. I don't think those are sparks.

Well, I used to work at a local Pepsi distributor and let me tell you, if those racks aren't anchored to the ground it doesn't take much to bend the supports out from underneath them...GOOD TIMES...good times...

On a side note, sure wish I'd snagged a couple of corny kegs back then!

Those definitely aren't cases of beer. Crazy nonetheless.

Last fall at the small local brewery I work for we had a forklift accident. It was bottling day and one of our lead brewers was trying to pick up 3 stacked pallets of empty glass... you can imagine what happened.
Think i still have pics of the aftermath somewhere.

Back