Java Plums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not really plums, just called that here. Anyway I fermented 3 1/3 gallons and finished ABV seems low only 3.89% Can I add sugar and pitch more yeast? How much sugar do you think I'd have to add to get it up to say 10%? Also how much water should I dissolve the sugar in?

One cup of sugar raises SG of one gallon by 0.020. You could dissolve the sugar in your wine and add back in. May not even need to repitch a yeast, but you can. Off the top of my head, you will need about seven cups of sugar to hit your new target. Use your hydrometer, I want to say you need to incorporate another 0.040 of fermentable.

Assuming you have not stabilized with sorbate and k-meta, the sorbate being the issue, all should go fine with the referment.

One cup of sugar raises SG of one gallon by 0.020. You could dissolve the sugar in your wine and add back in. May not even need to repitch a yeast, but you can. Off the top of my head, you will need about seven cups of sugar to hit your new target. Use your hydrometer, I want to say you need to incorporate another 0.040 of fermentable.

Assuming you have not stabilized with sorbate and k-meta, the sorbate being the issue, all should go fine with the referment.

Thanks I'll play with it. There has been no change in FG for a week so I guess what's there is done. Nothing in the bucket besides the juice and Red Star Champagne yeast. I'll mix up some sugar and try to raise it to 40. My SG was only 36, should have known it wouldn't produce much alcohol.

Thank you for sharing, interesting little fruit there. My son recently got out of military, last duty station was at Schofield Barracks. He misses the fresh fruits and seafood, especially squid.

Uncle brought me here in 1963 and I never left. Thank your son for his service to this great country.

Back